Monday, August 18, 2008

ZZ Top

Everyone has those bands that they would love to have a chance to see in concert before they die (the bands, I mean). For my husband, ZZ Top is that band. For years he had wanted to see them, but they were never touring in our area. Finally, last summer, they came to St Louis on the "High School Reunion" tour, with the Stray Cats, The Pretenders, and the Gin Blossoms. I got tickets for M for Father's Day and we went. We had terrific tickets, and the show was amazing. Almost unreal seeing a legend like that live, on stage.

So, when I heard that they were going to be performing at the Illinois State Fair this year, I was on my cell phone at 8am the day tickets went on sale to get spots for us on the track. This year, they are touring with Brooks & Dunn. Yep, that's right, B&D. Odd combination, right? Apparently, they recorded together. Very interesting, and actually, the musicians complemented each other well. Unfortunately, this show also made me realize how incredibly OLD both the acts are getting. This is something that you would expect from ZZ Top, but B&D? Not as much. Until you see Ronnie Dunn on the big screen, with his shirt unbuttoned, one button too many, not quite concealing the liver spots on his chest....ew. Overall, it was a great show, just a little reality check. The beer helped....a little.

No comments: