Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tailgater Stromboli!

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made Stromboli for my husband since that first time I introduced him to it many, many moons ago. Usually it is a simple Italian sausage Stromboli with mozzarella and marinara. Occasionally it’s a breakfast Stromboli with scrambled eggs, sausage (or bacon) and cheese sauce).
I’m sooooo bored with Stromboli. But, at the same time, I do love it.
Well, Stromboli was up next in the batting order last night and while I was wandering the aisles at the grocery store last night looking at the piss poor selection of sausage, a brain child was born.
Brats.
We love brats….its basically sausage….and the wheels began turning.
What I came up with was a new variation on our traditional Stromboli with brats, caramelized onions, a dab of barbecue sauce and cheese. It couldn’t hurt that I have tailgating on the brain since we’re planning a trip to Arrowhead in October to see my Chiefs kick Dallas’ ass. I have no doubt we’ll be noshing on some brats that day!

Tailgater Stromboli
1 tube Pillsbury Pizza dough
1 package uncooked brats, meat removed from casings
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1 large onion, thinly sliced
Velveeta cheese, for topping
1 egg

In just a drizzle of vegetable oil, cook the onions over medium heat sloooooowly, stirring them only occasionally, until they are lovely and golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
In the same pan brown the crumbled meat in a skillet and drain off every bit of grease that you can.
Mix in just enough barbecue to lightly coat the meat, about 1/3 cup, but you don’t want any excess to drip out the edges of the pastry.
Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Open the can of pizza dough and either roll it out gently into a large rectangle, or press it out with your fingers, being careful not to tear it.
Pile the meat onto the dough in a line down the center of the dough.Top with the caramelized onions. Then with slices of cheese. Yes, you heard me right, I said Velveeta. It’s a staple in our house and for this it melts nicely without pouring out everywhere.

Now, with a small knife, cut slits along the long, exposed edges of the dough, trimming off the four corners. (Save the dough you just cut off in case you tear one of the strips, you can patch it in to cover the torn spot.)
Fold one of the short edges of the dough over the end of the meat and, one strip at a time, braid the dough strips, one over the other, left, right, left, right, etc. Do this about halfway down the stromboli, then turn the pan and repeat, starting at the opposite end until all the strips are braided, and tuck the last tail into one of the holes.
Beat an egg up in a small bowl with a fork and rub it all over the braid. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the dough is nice and golden.
***For more detailed pictures and instructions on assembling the stromboli, see my original post.

***I considered cooking the brats whole and then slicing them for the meat layer, but I was concerned that it wouldn't give me enough pieces to thoroughly cover the bottom of the stromboli. I might try it that way next time.

Enjoy! And GO CHIEFS!!!

2 comments:

NV said...

OK. I'm with ya on the stromboli. On the football game outcome ... not so much. (Lifelong Cowboy fan.)
:-)

Ty'sMommy said...

Oh noooooooo.....that's it, its offical, NV. We can't be friends anymore. :)