Monday, May 4, 2009

Corn Salsa and DANGER! (Danger MOUSE, that is)

In our family (and again, I’m talking about my in-laws) it is customary (and expected) to have dinner at the MIL’s house on your birthday. Now, I’ve managed to skate out of my obligation for this the last few years since I have a pretty strong opinion about what I will and won’t do on the one day of the year that is my own. However, my SIL hasn’t quite gotten to that point yet.
So, as is customary in MY house, I tried to put a fun spin on it and suggested to the MIL that we turn this birthday into a Cinco de Mayo style party, complete with build-your-own tacos, nachos, various salsas, Mexican-inspired décor, and, of course, margaritas.
Along with some of MEF’s Spanish Rice, I also contributed a bowl of the corn salsa that everyone loves. I wish I could claim this as my own, but I actually got the recipe from our HR director some years ago. Its so easy to make (and eat) that some people have been known to literally make themselves sick on it because they just can’t stop eating it. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did yesterday!
Corn Salsa
1 bag frozen corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 cans Ro-tel, tomatoes with chiles
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
Juice of one lemon and one lime
1 TB garlic powder

Drain corn, beans, and tomatoes in a colander for about 30 minutes.
Transfer to a large bowl and add remaining ingredients.
Mix well and refrigerate overnight (if you have time), or at least a couple of hours, to let the flavors marry.

Serve with tortilla chips, and take some for yourself first, because it will be gone before you get to come back for seconds!
And if you're curious, yes, SIL ended up having a very nice birthday.

While we were in Baltimore visiting my own sister, my son inadvertently became addicted to Dangermouse. Remember Dangermouse? I had forgotten all about him, but my sister hadn't, as she had a dvd set that came in very handy when Little Man became bored with the movies we brought with us. He became so addicted, that even after arriving at home, he was still asking for Dangermouse. So, I managed to find a new, sealed copy of the SERIES box set from a seller on Amazon for $13.78 (including shipping). It arrived today and I may allow him to watch it tonight....if he hasn't gotten into any more trouble at school fighting over his girlfriend with another classmate....I hear there was quite a scene this morning.....ugh. He's only FOUR.

3 comments:

NV said...

too funny! but not surprising as he's awfully cute.

Kelly Williams said...

These recipes look awesome! I'm going to get the ingredients for the salsa the next time I go to the store!

Ty'sMommy said...

I don't know why it tickles me so much, Kelly, but I think its so cool that you're reading my blog!!!