Thursday, October 9, 2008

From the recipe archives

The weather is changing and the days are getting shorter, which always leads to one thing for me.
Comfort food.
On the menu last night was Chicken Pot Pie. Definitely one of my all time favorite comfort foods. Rich and steamy fresh from the oven. And, as a bonus, very easy to make. Now, I am not an avid baker, and I admit to using Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust when I make pot pie, so there. Hate me. Whatever. I only have so much time and energy to get a satisfying meal on the table for my family, and if that's what I gotta do, well, that's just how its gotta be.
My pot pie recipe is a conglomeration of several I have tried in the past, a la Barefoot Contessa, Paula Deen, and others of the like. It is a favorite of my mother-in-law's, among others, and I gotta say, I like it pretty well, too. I generally poach the chicken breasts in advance to save myself the grief later on, but you do whatever you like. Here she is, in all her glory.
Chicken Pot Pie
2 cups poached chicken, cubed or shredded
1 onion, finely diced
1 cup mixed vegetables (I use the frozen peas and carrots mix)
6 TB real butter
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 pie crusts (1 package from the refrigerated section)

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and saute the onions in the butter.
When the onions are softened, add the flour and cook to make a roux.
Add the chicken stock and stir to combine.
Let the mixture come to a boil to thicken.
Add salt, pepper, and cream.
Mix in the chicken and vegetables.
*This is important. If you don't want the pie to be runny, make sure you add enough chicken and veggies to make the mixture very thick, even if it is more than what is called for.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust (So, roll the bottom crust out a bit on a floured surface and put it in an 8-9 inch pie plate. If your crusts have a tendency to stick to the pan, pre-bake the bottom crust a bit first.)
Top with the second crust (you won't need to roll this one out) and pinch the crusts together.
Brush the top with more cream, top with salt and pepper, and cut three slits in the top to vent the steam.
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to an hour, or until top is golden.
Let is cool a bit before cutting to keep the juices from just spilling out everywhere like mine did last night.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

NV said...

That looks GOOD!