Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wanna-be Potato Ho

Ok, well, if I could find the link right now, I'd link back to the Potato Ho story, but basically, its about a bunch of us that just looooove potatoes. Technically, that's my husband, and not me, so I'm not going to intrude on the Ho-down.

Also, apparently I picked this idea up from a blog I was just skimming and don't follow, because I can't for the life of me find it now, but I would gladly give credit where credit is due if I could.
(I know, I'm such a slacker!)

If you've gotten to know me, even the littlest bit through this blog, you know that my husband drives me crazy - at least as far as cooking for him goes. (ok, maybe sometimes for other reasons, too, but that's a whole other post!) He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and believe me, I get tired of making the same old side dishes night after night, whether I eat them or not.

I ran across this idea yesterday on another blog and decided to give it a try. I mean hey, its potatoes, and cheese. How could the hubs not like it, right? Right. So here we go. I altered the recipe slightly, as it called for russets, and I had some nice reds. It also added some other seasonings in the oil, but I went for simple. With the hubs, when trying something new, that's the best way to go.


Oven Fried Potato Slices
5-6 red potatoes
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Paula Deen's House Seasoning (except I am cheap and I make it myself. If you know Paula, its just a glorified way of saying "salt, black pepper, and garlic powder all mixed up")
1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)


Slice the potatoes up, about 1/4 inch thick, leaving the peels on. Toss them with the oil in a Ziploc bag to get them all evenly coated. (Yes, you could just drizzle the oil on and rub it around if you are feeling green and want to save the plastic, but the recipe I saw suggested this method, to ensure all surfaces were evenly coated, as well as leaving the excess oil in the bag instead of letting the potatoes sit in a pool of oil on the pan, and it worked quite nicely for me) Layer the slices on a baking sheet, overlapping just slightly so that air can get around them, and sprinkle with House Seasoning.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until they are nicely done, and starting to crisp up. If you like your potatoes crispy, leave them in longer. My husband likes his more on the mushy side.
When the potatoes get to the "done" stage (according to your preference), pull them out and sprinkle lightly with cheese. Then pop the pan back in the oven and turn the heat off. Let the cheese melt and serve!
It was a hit with the hubs last night, and I served it along side some barbecued pork steaks. Speaking of which, don't be surprised if you start seeing a lot of pork chop and pork steak recipes. We just got a half a beef from the locker, and I still have a ton of pork leftover that I need to use up!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Forgive the random comment, I was just scrolling through some blogs of people who follow me that I am unfamiliar with...

The Potato Ho Down:

http://potatohodown.blogspot.com/

Originally begun by:

Krysta aka Evil Chef Mom aka my best online friend and Cathy aka Noble Pig, who also totally rocks.

evilchefmom.com
noblepig.com

You should join in every month and release your inner Ho. :P

By the by, I also relate to the hubby remark, or I did, but he has gotten soooo much better over time. Just keep cooking interesting stuff and making him try it haha!

Ty'sMommy said...

Thanks, Melissa! I knew I had seen it somewhere before! I'll be sure to check it out this month.