Monday, March 2, 2009

NOT Diet Food.

You know, as I'm composing this post, I am thinking to myself, DAMN! I sure do say that a lot. Yep. I make a lot of food that is most definitely NOT diet food. Believe me, this is not because it is my favorite, but because I am married to a country boy who refuses to think anything that has color in it could taste good. Good FOR you? Doesn't matter. Not to him.
I know, I hear you saying it, "Just introduce things to him a little at a time", or "In my house, you eat what's put on the table." Yeah, yeah, I know, I hear you, and believe me, I TRIED. But, in my house, with my stubborn man, it just. doesn't. work.
So, I have come up with quite a repertoire of countryboysatisfyingarteryclogging meals that make him happy, and have added 30 pounds to my waistline (among other places) that I am now struggling to get rid of. So, I now eat a lot of steamed and sauteed veggies while I make smaller versions of M's fatty dishes to avoid the mountain of leftovers we would otherwise have with me not eating it.
I know this isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for my cooking, but I don't get any complaints from M and other similarly minded folks, which there are a LOT of around here. SO, if you feel my pain, and know someone like M that you have to cook for, you might find some good recipes here on my blog! But I will warn you.....if you don't want to start LOOKING like a pan of chicken enchiladas, you might want to think twice before you put some of my recipes on your own plate.
NOW! Back to our regularly scheduled blog post...
I make this recipe occasionally for my husband. When we first started dating, and I stated cooking for him, he gave me a list of ingredients he didn’t like. One of those ingredients was sour cream, but given that the list (my husband being the picky eater that he is) was quite lengthy, I forgot about the sour cream when I made this dish for him for the first time. He looked at me skeptically when I put the dish in front of him (as he does ANY time I serve him something new), but after the first bite, he scarfed the rest of the plate down in a flash. Afterward, he asked me what was in it and I listed off the ingredients. When I got to the sour cream (and not just a LITTLE sour cream, but 16 OUNCES worth, he looked like he was going to choke. Then he said, “Wow, I guess I don’t hate sour cream as much as I thought!”
He looks forward to this dish now when I make it, which isn’t often considering that I am not usually good at prep, and taking the time to poach my chicken ahead of time so I don’t have to do it on a busy weeknight. When I made it this weekend, I halved the recipe and baked it in an 8x8 pan instead, since I knew it was definitely NOT on my diet and I wouldn’t be eating any of it. I also didn't get a picture of the finished product looking all gorgeously melty when it came out of the oven, because, well, we weren't home. As stated in an earlier post, we made a run to the ER last night and left the boy-child and supper at home with Ginny while we were gone.

Chicken Enchilada Bake
Poach 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and shred the meat. Set aside. In a saucepan, saute one onion, diced and 1 tablespoon minced garlic in 2 tablespoons butter.
Once the onions are soft, add:
4 TB flour
16 ounces sour cream
1 teaspoon coriander
2 cups chicken stock

Mix well to form a sauce. Bring to a gentle boil to give the flour a chance to thicken the liquid.
Reserve 2 cups of the sauce for later, and add the remaining sauce to the shredded chicken.
Lay out a flour tortilla, sprinkle with Monterrey Jack cheese, and top with chicken mixture. Roll the tortilla tightly, and put it in a 9x13 pan. Repeat this with 7 more tortillas, or until you run out of ingredients (or space in your pan!). Pour the reserved sauce over the tortillas, and top with 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese.Sprinkle the top with a little paprika (for color), if you like. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. If you like your cheese to brown up on top, take the foil off and bake 5-10 minutes more.

No comments: