Thursday, January 29, 2009

Another Rachel Recipe

I do love me some Thai food. Probably my favorite dish when I go to a Thai restaurant is Thai Basil Chicken....extra hot.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when I came across this recipe from Rachel Ray a year or so ago. I'm sure its not entirely authentic, but the flavor in it competes very well with the restaurant versions I love.

I did tweak the recipe a little bit, since fish sauce, well....doesn't like me. SO I leave that out. I also only use roughly chopped onion instead of doing it two ways, and I serve it over sticky rice, since I own a rice cooker (gotta use it). I also usually make this in the summer time when my garden is full of various varieties of fresh basil, including Thai Basil, but in a pinch, grocery store basil will do, as it did for me when I whipped this up this morning.
Basil, Chili and Garlic Chicken
From Every Day with Rachael Ray
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1/2 pound thin Asian rice noodles or vermicelli pasta
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion, plus 1 cup finely chopped onion
8 cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup torn fresh basil leaves

1. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup water with the fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper. Stir to dissolve the sugar; set aside.2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rice noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.3. While the noodles are cooking, heat a wok or large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons oil, then the sliced and chopped onion, and garlic. Stir-fry until fragrant and softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and heat for about 1 minute. Working in 2 batches if necessary, spread the chicken in a single layer in the pan without crowding and cook, undisturbed, until the edges change color, about 1 minute. Turn and continue cooking, tossing now and then, until lightly browned all over, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved sauce and onion mixture and cook, tossing occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and evenly coated, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Remove the pan from the heat and add the basil, tossing until slightly wilted. Serve the chicken over the noodles.
Guess what I'm having for lunch TODAY!

4 comments:

Bev said...

This is the first time I've ever tried to do this - what a pain - fortunately I'm not too busy at work today...haha How I found your blog is an interesting story for another time but I've been reading it off and on since summer. I enjoy your witty writing, delicious recipes, fabulous photography, variety of projects, and references to my 'home' area. You are one busy girl!!!

I grew up in the town where you work, my mom still lives there, and a dear 'old' friend works where you work. (Oh yeah, I've been piecing all this together from bits of info...amazing?) We live near Chicago but visit Mom as often as we can and were there this past weekend to celebrate her birthday.

I am hoping that you can give me enough information to find your favorite steak place. I do love a great filet! And finding great places to eat down there can be a challenge.

This is the second time I'm attempting this comment so I hope the d*** thing goes this time.

Keep on blogging! I need something entertaining to do on these slow work days!!!

Ty'sMommy said...

Well, hello Bev! I love when I discover a stealth reader! Nice to "meet" you. You now have me very curious, partly since your mom and I have close birthdays (mine was last weekend, too!), and the whole 'old' friend where I work comment...you must let me in on the details!
As for the steak place, its a golf course out in Carrollton called Lone Oak. They only serve dinner on Friday and Saturday nights, and you MUST have reservations. Its a hole in the wall with cement floors and folding tables, but it sure is good! (and popular!)
Keep reading...and give me a chance to figure out who YOU are, too!

Unknown said...

This does sound wonderful. I love RR recipes. Did you sub anything for the fish sauce or just skip it entirely?

Ty'sMommy said...

Hi Donna! Thanks for stopping by! Nope, I didn't replace the fish sauce, it called for so little, I just leave it out.