Thursday, July 15, 2010

Parmesan Fillo Asparagus

When I first saw this recipe, I knew it was something I had to try immediately. We are not in the height of asparagus season any more, but it is still readily available and I have not yet had my fill! I am including my version of the recipe below with the changes I made to the original. The measurements are approximate, depending on the number of spears you have, etc.

Although I intended to post this earlier in the season, it isn't easy to come by a package of fillo in my neck of the woods, so it took awhile for me to gather my ingredients! Let me tell you though, this one was worth the wait! And, its definitely a keeper. These would be perfect to have prepped and ready to bake, then pop them in the oven right before your guests arrive for a terrific appetizer. The hubs also pointed out that they would probably be good with a little Frank's Red Hot on them. I would agree, but this batch was actually plenty spicy with the amount of red pepper flake that I used. Since the measurements are all "to taste" you can make them as mild or as spicy as you want.

Parmesan Fillo Asparagus
20 asparagus spears
1 packet fillo

4 TB unsalted butter, melted

1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
red chile flakes
salt and pepper

Peel the stalks if the asparagus is tough skinned.
Open the fillo sheets and remove one at a time from the packet.
Cut in half and brush lightly with butter.
Sprinkle on the Parmesan and a few chile flakes, then season with salt and pepper.
Lay a raw spear of asparagus along the edge of the pastry and roll it as tightly as possible. The original recipe said to blanch the asparagus first, but unless your spears are particularly thick, I wouldn't. Mine were pretty thin, so I put them in raw and it worked perfectly. I think if I had boiled them at all first, they would have come out mushy.Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining asparagus and place the tray in the fridge until you are ready to put them in the oven. (These can be done in advance, just cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge until you need them.)

Preheat the oven to 350. Place the trays into the hot oven and bake for about 7-8 minutes until golden brown. Pile the spears on a plate and top with freshly grated Parmesan. Serve immediately - these are best while hot. These were really fantastic and I'll definitely be adding them to my party recipe box!

1 comment:

Kim said...

This is a great idea. I love it! Crunchy, tasty little devils....yum!!