Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Taking Cake on a Test Drive

Here comes another recipe on a test drive for my brother in law's birthday in July. I ran across this recipe on Chef Chuck's Cucina and it really spoke to me!
I don't usually have a sweet tooth, but I do love a good, rich chocolate. I made my version with unsweetened chocolate, for two reasons:

1. my store didn't have the Bittersweet the Chef Chuck recommended.
2. I like my chocolate extra dark and bitter

So, the torta turned out beautifully, although it took almost twice as long to cook as Chuck's did, and it was definitely bitter. I liked it very much, but you've got to like it really dark to do it this way. I may try it again with a different chocolate for the BIL. But, I think we might have a winner, the texture was wonderful, very dense and rich. And as an extra bonus, it was incredibly easy to make. I didn't have a tart pan, so I lined my springform pan with foil and it worked just fine...but I'm thinking I might have to get back up to TJMaxx now for the tart pan I talked myself out of there last weekend!
Chocolate Torta
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
5 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla (I got to use my new homemade vanilla extract!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
powdered sugar for dusting

Slowly melt chocolate and butter over low heat, remove from heat. Whisk in sugar, add 1 egg at a time, vanilla, salt and flour. Pour in a 9 or 10 inch pan and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or till tooth pick comes out clean. Dust with powdered sugar.

No comments: