Monday, February 16, 2009

Artichoke Pesto with Ciabatta loaf

This is adapted from Giada di Laurentiis’ recipe for Artichoke Pesto on Ciabatta, which I adore. I made this once for a shower I was asked to bring a dish to, and I have not stopped getting requests for it since then. Even people who proclaim not to like artichokes just love this dish. It’s a no-fail appetizer!

Artichoke Pesto on Ciabatta
1 can artichoke hearts, drained
1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley parsley (heavy stems discarded)
1 bunch cilantro leaves
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (be careful not to burn them like I did this time! I ended up using pecans because I didn’t have any more walnuts)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic (if you are using fresh, stick to just 2 cloves. Even if you LOVE garlic, like I do. Trust me, if its fresh, 2 cloves is plenty)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
1 (12 to 16-inch) ciabatta loaf, cut in half, lengthwise, and slice each half in half again to make four long pieces
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (or more, as needed)

In a food processor combine the artichokes, parsley, cilantro, walnuts, lemon zest and juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Run the machine to finely chop all the ingredients, stopping the machine a few times to scrape down the sides. Then, with the machine running, drizzle in 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil.
Mix in the Parmesan. Add more olive oil, as necessary to achieve the right consistency. Place the pieces of the ciabatta loaf (yes, my grocery store actually HAS ciabatta loaf!) on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake at 450 degrees until the edges just start to brown, about 5 minutes. I use my kitchen sheers to snip the loaves into slices after toasting them. Serve alongside the pesto.

1 comment:

Maris said...

Wow I bet this was delicious!

Your blog title is great,