Monday, February 23, 2009

Asian Sesame Chicken Bites

My BA (Beadaholics Anonymous) group at work got together this weekend for a few hours of beading and girl-time. If there is one thing we know how to do well where I work, it is eating. So, naturally, we all brought a little something to snack on for the event. I am still pushing myself hard with the Biggest Loser challenge we are doing at work, so I tried to come up with something at least remotely healthy to contribute. I chose my Asian Sesame Chicken Bites (sometimes done on skewers). This recipe is adapted from one I found on Kraftfoods.com, and I am posting it with one disclaimer. It calls for a package of Good Seasons Asian Sesame Dressing mix. However, this mix is hard to find. I don’t know if its that they stopped making it or it can only be found in certain markets, but I get so many requests for this that the last time I found it, I bought a case of 24 packets. I don’t know what I’m going to do when I run out. Still trying to adapt the recipe so I can make it without the packet.

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of all fat and cut into bite size chunks
1 packet Good Seasons Asian Sesame Dressing mix
½ cup honey
2 TB soy sauce
¼ orange juice concentrate
¼ cup water
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 TB creamy peanut butter
1 tsp sesame oil

Mix all the above ingredients together to form the marinade. If you really want to be lazy, buy the pre-cut skinny chicken tenders at the grocery. Save ½ cup of the marinade for dipping. Put all the raw chicken in the remaining marinade and toss to coat. Leave in refrigerator at least a half hour, but up to several hours.
At this point, if you are using the tenders, you can skewer them lengthwise to serve as an appetizer, or leave them as tenders for a main dish. Heat a little vegetable oil in a large skillet and add the chicken a piece at a time, shaking off any excess marinade. Saute on all sides until nice an golden, then add a little of the leftover marinade and heat through so that it glazes all the chicken bites. Serve hot with the reserved marinade on the side.

1 comment: