Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pinteresting - GLITTERFIED!!


This post comes with a consumer advisory.... don't try this at home. But, if you do, just do it when your husband isn't home. Trust me on this.

So.... I have these boots. I'm sure you can all relate, right? There is that one pair of boots or shoes in your closet that you LOVE. They fit you just right.... they are easy to walk in.....they go with your favorite jeans (which also fit you just right)....and something about the height of the heel...just makes your ass look good.

Really, they do. You know what I'm saying. Don't judge.

Ok, so I have these boots. Have had them for a long time, actually. And you know that moment.... that terrible, sad moment.... when you recognize the signs. The signs that these poor boots have seen better days. That, really, wearing them at this point only makes you look kind of shabby.
See? Aren't they a mess?

But they are THE boots, right? You need to save them!

Well, in walked Pinterest. Again. Saving the day. Have you seen the new thing in heels? Or, rather, ON heels? It's GLITTER.

Now, I have to admit, I am NOT a fan of the sparkle. No sir, I am not. HOWEVER. I AM a fan of the boots. And the boots MUST be saved. By any means necessary. I love these boots. We have....history.

And so, they shall be GLITTERFIED.  There are tons of pins on Pinterest about making your own DIY glitter heels. Personally, I went for this one. Simple, few supplies needed. It was just a matter of finding black glitter, and I was on the move.

This is very simple, really. Pour some modge podge into a dish (preferably disposable), then mix in the glitter until it becomes a glittery, but spreadable, mass. Now, slow down, you really don't need much. Not at all. I mean maybe a TABLESPOON of modge podge. And I'm not kidding. These boots of mine have big, thick heels, and I still ended up throwing out more than half my glitter mix. So, start small, you can always make more.

Ok, now, using a brush, spread the glitter mix onto the clean heel. That being said, since the issue with my boots was that the leather was peeling off the heels, I first took a utility knife to both heels, thoroughly removing all traces of the leather, leaving a nice, virgin surface.

You're probably thinking to yourself, "ok, so once I have covered the heel in modge podge, THEN what do I do? Its not like I can set it down on the counter..." Okay, maybe you're not thinking that yet. But trust me, you WILL. About the time you have the glittery heel in one hand and the modge podgy brush in the other, with nowhere to go.

So, I did what any self-respecting country wife would do..... I *ahem* borrowed my husband's hunting boot dryer.... Yes. Yes I did. Did I mention not to do this while the husband is at home? I have yet to meet a straight men who doesn't hate glitter. He will see it as an act of domestic warfare. You'll just have to take my word for it.

I digress. thoroughly cover the heel in the glitter podge. Then, while the heels are still wet and gluey, hold them (one at a time) over a large plate or piece of newspaper, and carefully shake more glitter over them, gently tapping the new glitter to help it adhere. This is where I must warn you.... I really hope you have a dustbuster. Seriously... this is the point where your project can go horribly wrong, and you'll be wiping black glitter off your kitchen counter for MONTHS. And trust me, you don't want that. Which, in turn, would give your act of glitter treachery away to the husband... so... be careful.
This is what they will look like when you apply the "glitter-podge". Don't worry, once they are dry they won''t be white anymore.

Now, let the boots dry. THOROUGHLY.
This is what they look like once they dry.
When they are completely dry, shake off any loose glitter and apply an additional thin coat of un-glittered modge podge, just to seal it. And, VOILA! Kickin' heels!! I saved them from the trash bin and I can live happily once again.

Try experimenting with a whole shoe. Maybe some really sassy heels that are just a little out of style.... cover them in glitter and get one more night of partying out of them. I can't wait to try mine out later this month.
Not the best picture, but they look great peeking out from under my jeans!

Oh, and don't forget to clean up! Make sure to erase every last little particle of glitter. Why is it they always notice the things you think they'll never notice? Hmmmm...

No comments: