Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Taco Casserole

You can tell the weather has turned toward fall. I'm starting to get back in the comfort food groove and have been putting together dishes geared toward my husband. This one is uber-simple, and if you cook your meat ahead of time, takes only minutes to prepare. I always keep the ingredients for this one on hand for a quick and easy dinner in minutes.

Taco Casserole
1 pound ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or more, if you like it really cheesy)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup taco sauce OR Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce (yes, I know, not really a "taco" ingredient, but it is one of Matt's favorite things, so we put a twist on the taco concept.)
3 - 10 inch flour tortillas

Brown the ground beef and drain thoroughly. Mix in taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water.

In either an 8 inch square dish or a deep round casserole, layer the ingredients in the following order, using about 1/4 of each, per layer.

Seasoned beef
black beans
Country Bob's sauce or taco sauce
cheese
tortilla
Now, REPEAT!
Then, repeat again until you have used up all of your ingredients.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 until bubbly. Serve!
This is by no means an exact recipe. Its is easily doubled, and there is no reason you can't switch up the ingredients to your liking. If I wasn't feeding Matt, I'd put in fresh diced tomatoes and top it with sour cream. Sometimes when we're feeling the urge, I throw in a bunch of chopped jalapeños. Whatever your family likes, it will all work in here!

3 comments:

Kim said...

This sounds so good. My husband would love it too! And, I wouldn't have any problem gobbling it up either ;D

Ty'sMommy said...

I've also done this with shredded chicken and it is yummy, too!

Arlene Delloro said...

I love stuff like this, too. I pack Larry's lunch each day, too, ahd this is great cold weather stuff. I'd like it with meat or chicken. I do one like it with corn tortillas that kind of soften like a pasta. Love your combos.