Monday, October 19, 2009

Avocado Smoothies

I know it is probably hard to believe, but even with all the foodie posts that I have put up from my weekend-o-food with Ginny, I'm still not done. Nope! You heard me right. I still have a couple more recipes to post just from the couple of days Ginny spent here a few weeks back.
The next one I am going to share with you is an avocado shake. Now, I love avocado. I like it in salads, love guacamole, and even just as a little treat with salt, pepper and olive oil on a bagel. But I always, always eat it in a savory form. I have seen avocado turned into a sweet treat, usually in some Asian methodology, but I have never considered trying it that way. I just didn't think I'd care for it that way. I don't know why I have put it off, I always claim to be so open minded about food, counting a dish out just because it is out of my normal comfort zone is just not like me. So, when Ginny suggested an avocado shake, well, I had to remind myself of my foodie motto, "Try anything twice, just in case you were wrong the first time."

Looking around on Tastespotting, Ginny found this recipe, and we got the food processor out and put it to work. It turned out this gorgeously creamy concoction that bore a slight resemblance to a facial masque. Probably would have done wonders for my complexion. It was reminiscent of ice cream, but somehow, I felt none of the guilt I normally associate with such decadence.

Coming from the girl who doesn't think she'd like "savory" done "sweet", comes this admission....I was wrong. And you know how I know I was wrong? MY SON ATE IT.Yep, that's right, that's my picky little four year old licking the spoon, and loving it. He was like a little guppy with a spoon. Aside from that, Ginny and I were giving ourselves brain freeze because we were slurping it down so fast.

This is definitely a recipe I can recommend and I will be making it again!

Avocado Shake (Sinh To Bo)
(makes 2 servings)
1 large, ripe, avocado
3 tbs of sugar or condensed milk (start with this amount)
1/2 cup half and half (or you can use regular milk)
1 cup of ice (the more ice you use, the thicker it will be)
couple drops of vanilla extract (optional)
Ripe avocados should be firm but will yield to gentle pressure when held in the palm of the hand and squeezed. Color is not always accurate. Slice lengthwise and split in half. To remove the pit, place the avocado on a cutting board and with sharp knife, strike the pit--knife should now stick to the pit for easy removal. Combine ingredients in blender and puree until it thickens. Taste and make final adjustments on sweetness or consistency by adjusting amount of ice/half and half. So rich, yet refreshingly delicious!

2 comments:

Kim said...

It sounds like it would be good, especially with condensed milk. I'm glad Ty liked it, that's always a good sign :D

Ravenous Couple said...

so glad you and your son enjoyed our sinh to bo recipe! Nice photo too!