Monday, March 21, 2011

Once Upon a Time....

....In a land far, far away.... Ginny and I made this pasta.
I honestly can’t remember what brought this dish to our roster of culinary delights, except for maybe that it is a Jacques Pepin recipe and Ginny loves to watch Jacques. So, there, that’s probably it.
I have one thing to say about this pasta (okay, you got me, I definitely have more than ONE thing to say, but I’m making a point, so bear with me!).
DRAGON BREATH.
Notice the ingredients list....it calls for an entire CAN of anchovies. On top of that, you also end up using the oil they were packed in. Add garlic and this pasta packs a powerful punch! (say THAT five times fast!)
That being said...it was really, really good. I don’t remember any of the charming repartee from the kitchen that day, so I’m afraid I can’t tickle your funny bone today, but I can share with you one delish dish that you should definitely try the next time you’re in the mood for something really.....FRAGRANT.
Pungent?
Odiferous?
You get the point....but in a good way. It makes its own sauce, which clung to the fresh pasta that we used so that every little scrap of it was coated and not a drop got left on the plate. That’s my kind of pasta. Just don’t plan any dates around this meal....you know, unless you’re BOTH eating it....
Rigatoni with Lettuce and Eggplant
1 Eggplant
¾  pound Rigatoni
5-6 cloves garlic sliced
Pepper flake to taste
1 can anchovies with oil
Lettuce (Escarole or other lettuce) large bunch chopped roughly
Parmesan Cheese enough for in and garnish
Peel and dice the eggplant in 1inch dice and place on a lined baking sheet.  Drizzle with olie oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Start the pasta while the eggplant bakes.
In a large skillet place some olive oil and when shimmering add the garlic and pepper flake.  Cook till it is slightly golden and then add the lettuce. Turn the lettuce so that the garlic is on top of the lettuce to prevent burning.  Add the oil from the anchovies and chop the anchovies and sprinkle into the skillet.  Cover the pan and let the lettuce wilt. Turn the burner down to medium low.  The anchovy will melt into the sauce and you won’t really have pieces of anchovy.
Remove the eggplant from the oven and add it to the skillet, tossing to coat.
Drain the pasta reserving some of the water if needed for the sauce. Add the pasta to the skillet and toss.  Add Parmesan to taste.  You will not need to add salt to this, the anchovies and cheese should provide enough salt. 
This is my submission to Presto Pasta Nights this week, hosted by Claire at Chez Cayenne.

3 comments:

Claire said...

This looks really great! Thanks for sending this over to Presto Pasta Nights.

Claudia said...

This dish is just crazy enough to be good. I've got to try it now.

Unknown said...

My husband and I just watched this episode last night and now read your post. We are dying! Too funny! We are looking forward to making this dish. And BOTH of us will be eating it.