Wednesday, March 23, 2011

(CHILI CHEESE) FRITO and BACON BRITTLE

I’m kind of a freak. Have you figured that out yet?

Yes? Good. Because you may need to put a little faith in me for this post.

Don’t even ask me where I got this idea.....it would probably take us down roads that are better left untraveled. Sometimes my mind works in mysterious....and moderately disturbing....ways.

I’m not even going to give this recipe and introduction....I really think its going to speak for itself.

Suffice it to say that this recipe goes along with the theme of last weekend for me, which was “finishing up old projects”, since this has been on my list for quite awhile. I honestly didn’t know how it was going to turn out, but in the end, it was a real people pleaser.

(CHILI CHEESE) FRITO and BACON BRITTLE
2c sugar
1c water
1/16 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c Chili Cheese Fritos
½ cup cooked, chopped bacon

Spread Fritos out on a piece of parchment paper that has been placed inside a 9x13 baking dish. Combine sugar, water, and salt in a large saucepan and stir until dissolved. Cover and boil for 3 minutes. Remove lid and cook until the syrup turns a rich caramel color (320 degrees F/Hard crack stage). Remove from heat and quickly stir in butter. Pour over Fritos and bacon.

Cool completely before breaking apart.

**NOTES: I more or less poured what was left in my bag of Fritos into the pan. In retrospect, I think 1 ½ cups would have been a better amount. As it was, there wasn’t quite enough sugar syrup to hold all the Fritos together. This treat is sweet...and salty....and smoky....and a little bit evil. The first bite was a little odd. But the next one really packed a punch. The third had me hooked.

No comments: