Thursday, August 19, 2010

Oh Happy Day!

Well, folks, it was a happy day around here on Tuesday. Why, you may ask?

(ok, seriously, this is where you're supposed to say, "Why was it such a happy day, Beth?")

I'll tell you why! Tuesday was my son's first day of school. Yes, that's right, he is officially a big kid now, attending kindergarten and going to school. Everything went well (except for that minor meltdown he had when I picked him up and he was crying because he didn't understand why he didn't get to ride the bus like his friends - so much for taking the day off work and making it a special day, right?) and he had a good first day.
(Isn't he quite the Little Man?)

THAT, obviously, is the makings of a very happy day. Especially if you know anything about the living hell we went through with day cares for the first five years of his life.

Now, on to reason number two! I've been waiting for this for almost as long as I've been waiting for Ty to start school.

Do you know what this is?
That's right...you are looking at my own....personal....fig tree.

Yes, MY fig tree. I've been waiting all summer for my guy at the greenhouse to find one for me and it is finally here. I picked the beauty up and brought it home while Ty was at school on Tuesday. And yes, I've already eaten figs off of it.

Straight. Off. The. Tree.

I can't wait until my little tree grows up....just like my little guy did.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Awwww...congrats on Ty's first day of Kindergarten. I'm glad he had a good first day. Makes it so much easier for him to go back. I'm also glad you had your fig tree to look forward to. First days of school can be hard on a mom.

Krista said...

Love the pics of your little man going off to school! My oldest starts kindergarten next week too. She'd be the same way...forget you mom...my friends are riding the bus! She gets to ride the bus to school (she's very excited about that), but we are required to walk home since we're next to the school. Great for now, but in 2 feet of snow, it could be interesting.

I love that you have a fig tree! I've only eaten figs in Fig Newtons, although I have a small stack of recipes piled up that call for figs, should I ever come across them in the store. They are expensive here! I can't wait to see what you make. "Oh bring us some figgy pudding...."

Bev said...

It's most important to celebrate all our happy days!

How great that he loved the first day of school and finally being a "big kid" which is how most view getting to go to real school.

Joanne said...

Congrats to you and your son! On both successfully going to school and on the fig tree. Both awesome investments for the future :P