Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mango Habañero Jam

Says those words in the same sentence and watch how fast I’m on my feet and headed to the kitchen.

It would make your head spin.

It doesn’t help that I’m participating in Steph Chows’ 2nd Annual Jam Exchange, and I’m having a hard time resisting the urge to make jam right now. And, you know what they say, “some like it hot”.

This one is super simple. My batch didn’t firm up very well, but after tasting the heat of it, I’m thinking its probably a good thing you can’t get very much at a time. Dip a little cracker in it, or pour it over a brick of cream cheese, but this one is NOT one you want to eat by the spoonful (get back, Joey Tribbiani!). Unless, of course, you enjoy bleeding ulcers. Yeah, I didn’t think so.

Here is the link for the original recipe I used, but I am including my version (with a couple of changes) below.

Mango Habañero Jam
Yields 6 (1/2 pint) jars

6-8 whole habañeros (I bought a package of red habañeros that had 10 chiles in it, so I stemmed them and threw them all in)
1 c cider vinegar
1 fresh mango, peeled and chopped (sorry, it just didn’t look like enough fruit once you cut the pit out, so I used 2.)
1/2 c apricot nectar
1/2 c fresh orange juice (I couldn’t find apricot nectar, only mango nectar, so I used 1 cup of mango nectar in place of the apricot nectar and orange juice)
6 c sugar
1 packet liquid pectin (I used Certo sure-jell)

Blend all habañeros with vinegar, mango, and juices until well pureed. Bring mixture and sugar to boil in a heavy pot. Boil 8 minutes. Add certo and bring to boil again. Pour into 1/2 pt jars and seal.

Isn't it PRETTY??Now, just because I am a fool for a cool gadget, I have to show off my newest addition. The Norpro lid lifter. This bad boy will hold up to ten canning lids upright in your water bath so they stay out of the way of your jars. Either dip your magnetized lifter in the water to grab one at a time, or use the wooden knob to pull the whole thing out when you are ready to seal your jars. Nifty, no?

3 comments:

Anne said...

I like the fabric under the lid lifter :)

Kim said...

I love the idea of this - sweet and spicy and such a gorgeous color!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Oh! That Mango Habañero Jam does sound good. I can't wait to try it.