Wednesday, August 11, 2010

CIlantro Pumpkin Seed Pesto

When it comes to cilantro, I’ve discovered that you either love it, or you hate it.

Well, me? I LOVE it. And those people that hate it? Yeah, well, I don’t understand them...

So, when I recently saw this recipe posted by Pam over at Sidewalk Shoes, I knew I was going to have to try it.

Cilantro? Good.
Pesto? GOOD.
Cilantro Pesto??? FRIGGIN’ GOOD!!!

I did have a little trouble finding the raw pumpkin seeds. Consistent with the ongoing saga of having little or no access to decent ingredients, it took a trip to Baltimore to find a bag of raw hulled pumpkin seeds for this recipe.

Ohhh but it was worth it. “Just use sunflower seeds” Ginny kept saying to me.....

Well, as you may or may not be aware...I’m a little stubborn, (like a mule!) and I wasn’t about to give up on the pumpkin seeds. And I am glad I held out. This pesto is absolutely fabulous! So far I am loving it on chicken tacos, but I am thinking it would be great on a nice Panini with some queso fresco, or, for that matter, just eating it with a spoon. (no, I’m not serious....well....maybe...)

So I now have a stash of pumpkin seeds in my freezer for the next time I have to have some cilantro pesto...which is now going to be a staple in my house!
Cilantro and Pumpkin Seed Pesto
1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds
2 cups (gently packed) fresh cilantro leaves and tender sprigs
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoons seeded and coarsely chopped jalapeno pepper (I left the seeds in because I am bold)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Toast the pumpkin seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat. When you hear the first seed pop, start stirring or shaking the pan continuously. The pumpkin seeds will puff up. When most of the seeds are puffed up, pour the seeds on a paper towel to cool.
In a food processor process the seeds and all of the ingredients except the olive oil until it’s finely ground. Then pour the olive oil in a smooth steady stream, until the mixture is creamy and fairly smooth.

6 comments:

Krista said...

I subscribe to the cilantro lovers philosophy too. Mmmm. So fresh!

What a wonderful and unique pesto. I know that I'd dig it.

Krista said...

What a fabulous and unique pesto! I'd love to have some.

Cilantro gets two thumbs up from me for sure. : )

Joanne said...

Some people have a gene that makes them taste cilantro has soap. So as much as I want to scorn them for not liking it...

I loved this pesto also! I need to make it soon. Your labels are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh. That sounds GOOD. I like cilantro too. Unfortunately, my husband does not, but he will just have to eat something else on the night I try THIS! Thanks for posting it.

Kim said...

I don't understand people who don't like cilantro either. It's one of my faves. This does sound like a wonderful pesto. Love that it uses pumpkin seeds. I use to have a hard time finding pumpkin seeds until I discovered the Mexican markets in Lexington. Love going there and finding new things.

Anne said...

I sprinkle pumpkin seeds on a lot of my pasta dishes, whole, in addition to adding them to my pestos. Yum. Let me know when you need more.