Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Never Promised You an HERB Garden.... I Heart Cooking Clubs

Can you tell I grew up listening to soft rock on my parents' radio?
I couldn’t have been more pleased with this week’s theme for I Heart Cooking Clubs, and for two reasons.

1. I totally flaked on it last week because I am so crazy busy getting ready for this weekend’s wedding. However, I did have a recipe picked out for last week’s Garlic Breath theme, and it turned out that it fits perfectly into this week’s Herb Garden theme as well! SO, bonus for me!
2. My herb garden is just producing fantastically, so I got to use some of my lovely aromatics.
3. My chosen recipe was a perfect side dish for the grilled stuff pork chops the hubs whipped up the other night.
Yes, that’s right, the hubs cooked. He’s been spending more time at home lately since he’s been laid off and caught an episode of some Bobby Flay trainwreck of a show (sorry, I can’t help it, I think Bobby Flay is the char-broiled spawn of the devil) and thought his grilled stuffed pork chops sounded like good eatin’. WHAT. EV.

Anyway, the chops are basically a pork-cordon-bleu type thing where you take a really thick pork chop and butterfly it, then pound it out flat, then stuff it with ham
and swiss,fold the sucker back up,season and grill.Actually, it didn’t turn out too bad. The heat of the grill was a bit much for the pork and it got a bit dry, but it gave us some inspiration for a different rendition to try at a later date. SO keep an eye out for that one! I also had him throw on some lovely asparagus I picked up at the farmers market this weekend.As for the Herb Garden I never promised you..... how about some Linguine with Garlic and Olive Oil.....and herbs!This recipe has a variation listed that calls for A CUP of chopped fresh herbs of your choice. I promptly attacked my herb garden with a gusto that may have frightened the hubs’ friend who was hanging out with us in the front yard, but hey, no one can say I’m not an enthusiastic cook.

I also happened to have a package of Sweet Red Onion Linguine from Papparedelle’s pasta that I had been looking for an excuse to use. For the dressing, you basically warm up a half cup of olive oil in a pan (while the pasta is cooking) and simmer some garlic until it is soft (Bittman says 2 cloves, I say at least four), then add in your herbs and more olive oil, if necessary.Drain the pasta and toss! Fantastic.....That’s my submission for I Heart Cooking Clubs this week!

13 comments:

Tina said...

VERY nice! I have linguine in the fridge, I have lots of garlic........you have inspired me :-)

Kim said...

You did a great job combining last week's theme and this week's theme PLUS that pasta looks so good that I just might forgive you for not liking Bobby Flay ;-)

MonkeyGirl said...

Looks so yummy! Where do you get your Papparedelle’s pasta around here? We bought some dark chocolate Papparedelle’s pasta in Seattle and I know we are going to want more!

Krista said...

Wow! That looks great! I so wish that I had planted herbs again this year. I only planted pots last year and they all died and nothing has come back this year. I officially suck in this department. Apparently, it's not hereditary. My mom's herb garden rocks! Yummy linguine. Maybe when I go home to visit, I'll rob my mom's garden and make this!

Jack and Daynalee said...

This looks amazing! My hubby just bought a nice grill so we plan on BBQing a lot this summer. This will definitely go on my list to try!

Claudia said...

At least he's willing to cook something. I could put up with that occasionally. And, the pasta sounds terrific with all those nice herbs.

The Burmese Mom said...

Great pick! Looks fantastic!

Tiff said...

The pork chops and the linguine both look great!

Ty'sMommy said...

Thanks, everyone! I loved this pasta and will definitely make it again.

But I still don't like Bobby Flay. :)

Monkeygirl - get over to the Soulard Farmer's market sometime (they are open year round) and there is almost always a booth there from Pappardelle's. They have a great selection of dried pastas available, and also frozen stuffed pastas now, too!

Carla and Michael said...

What a fantastic looking meal. I'll have to be on the lookoout for specialty pasta's here in my state. Yummy!

Giovanna said...

I have to admit, I don't like Booby Flay either. (Not a typo) My kids don't even like him. My 8 year old always says, "let me guess mom, he's gonna make something with blue corn tortilla chips!"
Nice job on combining the two weeks together : )

Joanne said...

I love Pappardelle's and this was certainly a great used for the sweet red onion pasta. A simple and delicious sauce.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I used to have Bobby Flay issues but he has grown on me. ;-) The pasta ooks amazing--how can you go wrong with all the garlic and herbs?! The pork looks pretty darn delicious too. ;-)