Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Some Like it HOT!

And I'm one of them! I don't honestly know what the requirements are to be able to consider yourself a "chilihead", but I know its hard for me to find something that is "too hot" for my tastebuds. So, naturally, when I planted my garden this spread, it included a wider variety of peppers, one being the red habañero. Finally last week, I started seeing some red on the plants. There are quite a few green ones on there yet, so I figured I had better do something with the ones that were ripe before I had a mountain of them to deal with. I found a recipe for Habañero Hot Pepper Sauce and decided it was worth a try.

One thing I need to remember is not to EVER make this during the winter, or any other time that the house cannot be opened up for ventilation. While the chiles were simmering away downstairs, we were upstairs watching Wow Wow Wubzy with Ty (yes, we really were) and nearly lost our nose hairs! The fumes drifting up the stairs were enough to peel the paint off the walls.

And I loved it.

I just kept thinking about how great that was going to taste when it was done. Matt was worried that it was going to be too hot to eat, but I assured him that although it was highly unlikely (for me, anyway), if it DID turn out to be too spicy, we could always mix it in with barbecue sauce to mellow it out.

Yeah, he is soooo not touching my habañero hot sauce!!! When Matt made ribs this weekend, I dabbed a little of the meat in the sauce....mmmmm....heavenly!!! Or hellish....not sure which applies, but I was loving it. Matt's friend Rex joined us that night and he mixed it in with his rice and said it was great. I couldn't resist adding some to my grilled chicken last night. I'm going to have to make a bunch more and freeze it or can it or something so I have it all year. Because I'm telling you right now, there is not way the one little bottle it made is going to last me long!

***WARNING!!! Not for the weak of heart...or taste buds*** Habanero Pepper Sauce Recipe
Habanero peppers
Jalapeno peppers
Cayenne peppers
Hot chili peppers
(Approximately 2 cups, total of the peppers)
1 head unpeeled garlic
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 T. sugar
Directions:The exact proportions of the various types of peppers above can be varied depending on your personal tastes and what you have available. For a milder sauce, milder varieties such as Hot Wax, Banana, Pimento, or Bell peppers can be substituted for a portion of the hot varieties listed above.
Using rubber gloves, clean and de-seed approximately 2 cups of peppers. In a saucepan, combine the peppers, garlic, and vinegar and cook, covered, over low heat for approximately one hour. Keep an eye on the liquid and reduce heat and add more vinegar if it seems to be boiling away quickly. Press through a sieve or a food mill, add the sugar, and return to low heat for approximately 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour into a jar or bottle which can be sealed and refrigerate. Will keep in refrigerator for several months.

No comments: