Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Not-Even-Remotely-Authentic Pastitsio

Sometimes you just really need a casserole. Something warm, hearty, and comforting. Something with MEAT in it. And carbs. Lots of carbs. But then you have the guilt. You know the guilt I’m talking about. Is there anything GREEN in that casserole dish?

Well, in this one, there is! I was craving exactly such a dish this weekend when it was in the low 60’s outside and smelling like fall. I recalled a recipe I had recently seen in one of my foodie magazines (but then couldn’t find later). And so, as any home cook with a sudden craving is wont to do…. I improvised.

Not-Even-Remotely-Authentic Pastitsio
2 cups dried penne noodles (I used mini penne)
1 8-ounce package low fat cream cheese
1 can diced, fire roasted tomatoes
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 pound Italian sausage (I used ‘sweet’ this time, but usually prefer ‘hot’. Use that you like)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 bag fresh baby spinach

Boil pasta according to package directions. While the noodles are cooking, brown the sausage and drain.
While the meat is still hot, mix in the cream cheese and tomatoes, and Italian seasoning and stir until evenly combined.
In a large bowl, mix the cooked pasta, sausage mixture, half the mozzarella and the spinach together, then press into a casserole dish.
Top with remaining mozzarella and bake at 350, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is warm throughout.

This is my submission for Presto Pasta Nights this week.

3 comments:

Bev said...

This is my kind of dish, thanks for sharing!

Ruth Daniels said...

I'm with Bev! This is my kind of dish too. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Heather S-G said...

I made Pastitsio a couple of weeks ago and am still craving it to this day! (http://www.girlichef.com/2011/09/pastitsio-stitches-pastitchio.html) ...and now that you've said the word, I may have to make it over the weekend. Yours is very different from mine, but still sounds tasty!!