Monday, November 30, 2009

Poor Man's Paella

Believe it or not folks, this recipe is from my ex-husband. (yep, that's right, I am once divorced) I'm actually not sure you can call it a recipe, since it uses mainly prepared food items and only has three ingredients, but even now, it is a standby in my house when I need something fast and easy.

Start by chopping about three boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. Season them with salt and pepper if you want and saute them in a little oil until golden and cooked through.While you are cooking the chicken, prepare two packages of Knorr Chicken Rice, according to the directions. While the rice is still pretty liquid, but starting to soften, add in about 3 ounces or so of Velveeta, chopped up, until it melts into the mix.
When the chicken and rice are both done, mix the rice into the pan with the chicken and scrape up any brown bits into the rice. And serve!Ok, so this is absolutely nothing like paella, other than the rice and chicken, but hey, "Poor Man's Paella" is a lot more fun to say than "Cheesy Chicken Rice". Got your attention, didn't it?

In any case, its a cheap, fast, easy, and very satisfying dish for a cold night when you don't much feel like cooking.

6 comments:

Jhonny walker said...

food i food..and recipes ..especially great ones are for sharing too :)

love the simplicity of the dish :)

Michelle said...

This looks really easy and kid friendly. I want to try it!

I'm Just a Girl said...

**giggles** I remember when you taught me how to make this...I made it for YEARS! LOL!

Krista said...

Looks good to me! Quick, easy, relatively inexpensive, and my kids would eat it. No wonder it's a standby!

Kim said...

Sounds like a good combination of cheesy rice and chicken. You can never have too many of these kind of recipes.

Joanne said...

Whatever you call it, it sounds delicious! So much yummy cheese...no complaints there!