Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In a Pickle

Recently, Ginny was in North Dakota for a meeting and had the opportunity to dine at The Toasted Frog. Among other things, she tried their version of fried pickles. Around here if you order fried pickles, you end up with a plate piled high with what amounts to dill pickle slices, breaded and deep fried. This is pretty common carnival food in the Midwest.

However, when she sent me this picture, I was intrigued: On my visit to Iowa last weekend, we did our best to emulate this little treat. She described the restaurant's version as "dill pickle spears and Havarti in an egg roll wrapper and fried. I decided to go for the bite sized version and got pickle slices (which we cut into bit size chunks) and won ton wrappers.We carefully centered a piece of pickle and a little slice of Havarti on a won ton wrapper, then rolled each one up like a mini egg roll and tossed them into the hot oil.These were really tasty little treats. We ate our fill of them before our next dish was finished (yes, we ate two fried dishes for breakfast Sunday because we were too exhausted Saturday night to get it accomplished!). Since we were snapping them up so greedily, we completely forgot to take a picture of the INSIDE of one of them, so you'll just have to trust me when I say they were delicious. The only thing we might change is that they needed more cheese. I was also debating the idea of dredging the rolls in a Cajun seasoned flour the next time I make them.
Hmmmmm...

1 comment:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I keep seeing references to fried pickles/ pickle chips. I love pickles and I love fried stuff, so I have to believe that I would adore these. One day... one day.